• Ms. Sarah Allison was awarded the Dean’s Scholarship ($30,000) to attend graduate school at the University of Denver. She is currently enrolled in their International Human Rights M.A. program. Sarah was a participant in the FLED QEP project and she had experience conducting research, presenting at professional conferences, and publishing in academic journals prior to her acceptance to graduate school. These experiences likely made her highly competitive for the substantial scholarship that she received.
• Mr. Othellious Cato ($2,500), Ms. Danielle Huagabrook ($2,500), Mr. Charlie Keaton ($5,000), and Ms. Miranda Robinson ($2,500) won the Benjamin A. Gilman study abroad scholarship to participate in the Summer Study Abroad Program in Cádiz, Spain, during the summer of 2015. I assisted these students with their application packages
• Ms. Suzi Hernández and Mr. Jamarrius Thomas won the Benjamin A. Gilman study abroad scholarship ($3,500 each) to participate in the Summer Study Abroad Program in Cádiz, Spain, during the summer of 2014. I assisted these students with their application packages. http://www.valdosta.edu/about/news/releases/2014/05/three-vsu-students-awarded-gilman-study-abroad-scholarships.php
• Ms. Clandra Newson was the first ever recipient from VSU for the prestigious Benjamin A. Gilman study abroad scholarship ($3,500) in 2012. I helped Clandra with her application package. Clandra was also the first student from VSU to complete an internship with the Spanish Red Cross. http://www.valdosta.edu/about/news/releases/2012/06/clandranewson-062812.php
• Four of my study abroad students participated in the A&S Faculty/Student Research Colloquia on study abroad in the fall semester of 2011 and 2012: Mr. Darius Sams, Ms. Amy Dandron, Ms. Clandra Newson, and Ms. Anna Zuern
• Ms. Kristen Lanier was recently chosen to be a Cultural Ambassador by the Embassy of Spain and she will be paid to work in the Spanish school system for the 2013 – 2014 school year. She was also named FLED Student Teacher of the Year for the 2012 – 2013 academic year. Kristen was my student in FLED 4500/4510 (Curriculum & Methods of Foreign Languages), FLED 4800 (Professional Development Seminar), and FLED 4790 (Student Teaching).
• Ms. Alma Cárdenas was selected to work as the ESOL/ Parent Instructional Support Coordinator for Gwinnett Co. Schools for the 2011 – 2012 school year. She was also named FLED Student Teacher of the Year for the 2010 – 2011 school year. Alma was my student in FLED 4500/4510 (Curriculum & Instruction of Foreign Languages), FLED 4800 (Professional Development Seminar), and FLED 4790 (Student Teaching).
• Ms. Christan Marsh, a graduate student who enrolled in FLED 7500 (Second Language Acquisition Theory and Practice) during the spring semester of 2012, had her research project for the class accepted at the 2013 Foreign Language Association of Georgia (FLAG) conference.
• Ms. Sydney Early and Ms. Christan Marsh had their research projects from FLED 7500 (Second Language Acquisition Theory and Practice) accepted at the 2013 Graduate Research Symposium.
• Ms. Erika Wyatt, a recent FLED graduate, serves as President of the Student Professional Association of Georgia Educators (SPAGE). She appeared on the cover of the FALL 2013 issue of the PAGE New Teacher Guide. http://www.pageinc.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=19
• Virtually 100% of all FLED students who completed the program were employed the semester following graduation. The following former students /alumni are currently employed as professional educators:
Ms. Sara Smith and Mr. Enrique Abreu (Fayette Co. Public Schools), Ms. Stephanie Brearly (Colquitt Co. High School, Moultrie, GA), Ms. Sarah Fein (Valdosta High School, Valdosta, GA), Ms. Alma Cárdenas (Central Gwinnett High School, Lawrenceville, GA), Mr. Jerry Wilcox (Bilingual Case Manager, Georgia Migrant Headstart), Ms. Amy Dandron (W.R. Coile Middle School, Athens, GA), Ms. María Colín (Lee Co. High School, Leesburg, GA), Ms. Marin Henry (Gwinnett Co. Public Schools), Ms. Kristen Smith (Cultural Ambassador, Embassy of Spain), Ms. Eleanor Paschal (Taylor Road Middle School, John’s Creek, GA), Ms. Ivey Williams (Echols Co. High School, Statenville, GA), Ms. Erika Wyatt (Thomas Co. High School, Thomasville, GA), Ms. Savannah Griswold (Williams Middle School, Moultrie, GA), Ms. Stephanie Byington (Jeff Davis High School, Hazlehurst, GA, Mr. James Bruner (Lithonia High School, Lithonia, GA), Ms. Dina Ortiz (Thomas Co. Middle School, Thomasville, GA),Ms. Stacey Santana (Appling Co. High School, Appling, GA), Ms. Heather Soto (Valdosta High School, Valdosta, GA), Ms. Kelly Aguilar (Colquitt Co. High School, Moultire, GA), Ms. Marybel Ortega (Colquitt Co. High School, Moultrie, GA), Ms. Kelley Simms (Valwood School, Valdosta, GA), Ms. Hilaria Taft (Coffee High School, Douglas, GA), Mr. Rey Torres (Columbus High School, Columbus GA), Ms. Danita Campbell-Thomas (Scintilla Charter Academy, Valdosta, GA), Sarah Igglehart (Liberty County High School, Hinesville, Georgia), Ms. Jessica Baughcum (Colquitt Co. High School, Moultrie, GA) and Ms. Kristina Wingate ( C. A. Gray Junior High, Moultrie, GA).
The following former FL interns /alumni are currently employed as professional educators:
Ms. Edris Brannen (Valdosta State University, Dept. of Modern and Classical Languages), Mr. Antonio Havior (Monroe High School, Albany, GA), Ms. Christan Marsh (Windsor Forest High School, Savannah, GA), Ms. Marcela Paredes (Valdosta Middle School, Valdosta, GA), and Ms. Leah Velez (Atkinson Co. High School, Pearson, GA).